Thursday, September 24, 2009

Grizzly Bear, Spike Elk, and Football

Well the time finally came for Brayden to go on his Grizzly Bear hunt in Alaska. He has dreamed of hunting grizzlies since he was about four years old. Luckily this year he drew the hunt at Orem's SFW banquet. It was their grand prize for the evening, worth about $10,000.


He shot a beautiful grizzly on the third day of the hunt. They had chased the bear about 20 miles over two days before he was able to take the 300 yard shot. Brayden is known for his quick shooting and he had two more bullets into the bear before it went down. Even though it was a guided hunt, he packed out the head and hide to get the full experience. He absolutely loved the hunt and said it was everything he could have wanted.






While Brayden flew off to AK, the kids and I went to Blanding to hang out with the Richmond's and try my luck hunting elk during the archery season. On Wednesday, Sept. 2nd, I headed out to South Elk Ridge to the same water hole Brayden killed his bull last year. I arrived around noon to about 10 moo cows taking a drink. My hopes were squashed of ever seeing elk in this water. I had no other ideas so I went ahead and set up our ground blind and sat for the rest of the day. After two hours of sitting I heard some very loud animals walking behind me. I peeked out the window and saw a herd of elk! I was surprised that they came in so soon after the cows. There was one small bull with them that was fun to watch. The elk came right in without hesitation. I thought it was going to be the shortest hunt in my hunting history, but it was not meant to be. I drew back several times trying to get in the right spot so my arrow wouldn't hit the blind. Finally I was able to take a shot, but it was no good. I didn't see anything else for the rest of the night.
I headed to camp by myself and got settled in. I heard a bear growl about four times 50 yards from camp. I debated on going home, but the bear got quiet so I stayed and had a peaceful night. The next morning I headed back to the blind and got settled in. There were elk bugling above and below me. I love to hear elk talk. As I was listening to the bugling I looked up and saw a spike, cow, and calf headed into the blind. I got set up and as soon as the spike gave me a good shot I took it. The arrow hit its mark and he layed down on the bank of the pond. Since I was on my own I felt overwhelmed on what I had to do, but that didn't last long. I was worried about getting the meat taken care of since it was getting warm quick. I snapped a few photos with the timer and got to work. It took four hours to quarter it and pack it to the truck. After five trips it was done! Well kind of, I still had to cut up the meat and freeze it. I admit I felt good to have done it on my own.


Porter and Autumn enjoyed going to many football games with Grandma and Grandpa Richmond. Porter loves football and would get very excited every time we mentioned going to a football game. Autumn also loved going. She likes to move around constantly switching laps. It was a great week for the Richmond family.

1 comment:

  1. wow! that bear is MASSIVE! and great job paula for doing that all by yourself! thats one thing in my lifetime that i will NEVER attempt...

    ReplyDelete